Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ordinary Day for Snow Birds


Brrrrr. There are frost and freezing warnings posted for tonight. Go figure. The first time we manage to bring the folks down here and record cold temperatures are set!! But we still are loving watching the tides come in and rush back out to sea. Well, not sea, but 'gulf''.




It's been a calm day. G'pa and G'ma walked early in the morning. She was all bundled up with a scarf and winter coat. It felt great in the chill. I mean, you can't beat a heavy Iowa coat in Florida. Their cold is not quite the same as our cold.




We went to a laundromat and dried a load of clothes. Our condo drier won't work. Then we stopped at a Borders and had coffee and a raspberry scone.


Grandma bought some Christmas cards for next year, and she found a 2009 almanac. Then on the way back to Sand Key she read aloud to us. I learned how the squirrel helped the rebels win The Revolutionary War. Because the colonists were such sharpshooters, needing to kill squirrels for food, the skill carried over into battle. She also read to us about how to keep eggs fresh and how the shell becomes porous. I laughed and said, "No wonder you guys know so much, you read this stuff all the time.




I told Tara on the phone, "You know it is cold when you make a pot of chili in Florida!" That's what I stirred up for supper. I am in Sand Key. I should be eating fresh fish right from the shore! What is wrong with this picture?




Okay, keep warm. We are thinking about you all.

8 comments:

  1. Man...Global Warming is really wreaking havoc! Gore is a genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billye - see you should have come to AZ where its been in the high 70's and beautiful!! The ocean looks inviting and I'll bet you are totally enjoying your strolls along the beach and the coffee shops. I wish I was sitting at one of those with you!! Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO figure its freezing when y'all are down there. Too funny. Everyone looks happy and healthy - wish we were there! I'd love to have a scone and some coffee with ya. It's supposed to be like 40 here today....HEAT WAVE! keep the posts comin'....i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying these posts and photos. I can just see Grandma walking down the beach in her winter coat - most folks down there probably even own winter coats! I'm not surprised she was prepared for anything. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though it's been cold and nasty, we still wish that we could be there with you! We miss you guys. Sounds like you're learning lots of new stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I am glad Mamma Jo is putting some mileage on the Sketchers! At least you are still able to walk even tho the temperature isn't the best. I couldn't believe how cold it was down there....I was expecting shorts and t-shirt, but no such luck. Still much better than back here!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhhh, I hate that it has been so cold for you all. I think it is going to warm up though. I can't wait until you guys come see us. Are you going to Nashville also? Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello . . . . Hello . . . . Hello????? Did the sharks get you? Where are you, my friend????

    ReplyDelete