Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day in Florida







How many times can one say, "Oh, this place is soooo beautiful!" We are on the 19th floor of Jason's friend's condo. (And, I might say, this is the right kind of friend to have! I could get use to living the high life. Not up in the air, but surrounded by money and blue sky and surf and yachts, etc. )
We are all settled in, groceries stocking the shelves, laundry done. This morning Mom, Dad, and myself went for a sunny walk down the way. Shirtsleeves. We walked a long way, up a bridge where we watched the fishermen, back through a park. Your Grandfather started picking up trash along the way. Yep, lots of litter...I told him he had better wear gloves tomorrow. Then we returned along the beach. I walked barefoot, Grandma was wearing the new Sketchers that Patti left here. We don't know if she forgot them or donated them to Mom for the trip? Anyway, they were more supportive for walking than the trusty Keds.

Just a regular day of sunny Florida. The tv is keeping us updated on the historical Presidential happenings. We're also buying copies of the St.Pete Times. Actually, we are south of Clearwater on Sand Key. That is like a little secluded island inlet. No big tourist outlets, just a tiny strip of eating shops. You have to drive over the bridge to access Sand Key and all the stores. So that makes it quiet and serene. Tomorrow is suppose to be fifty degrees ... a major cold wave. Mom and I are laughing. We have our winter coats, that 50 degrees is a heat wave to us. Missing you all in our Florida days! Also we love reading your comments. And the best news....Grandpa is learning how to be proficient with the cell phone!




7 comments:

  1. Oh, I am imagining myself on the beach right now. The sand between my toes and the nice breeze and the sounds of the water coming in on shore. You guys are sure living the "High Life"! I am glad you are all having a wonderful and relaxing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you all are having fun in the sun. Grandpa wouldn't need gloves if if had one of those poker sticks or claw sticks to pick stuff up with. :) I could just picture it now. Him out there looking like a convict on community service detail. But that is good he does that. Some people just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the pictures (with Jason's help!). Looks like you guys are having a wonderful time. We miss you all a lot but are so glad that you are able to be there enjoying yourself. Love the last pic. Your sweater matches the ocean! So beautiful.

    And one family story for ya: tonight Tali was having one of her crying jags at bedtime. She was hysterical and then finally when she started calming down a bit, she exclaimed, "I don't even know HOW I'm CRYING!" (She meant, "I don't even know WHY I'm crying." I said, "I know, honey. Sometimes that just happens when you're a girl." Poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these photos and the stories. I almost feel like I'm on vacation with you. Almost.... I bet Patti hated to go back home to cold Iowa. It's really cold here today - Sam's truck wouldn't start (he forgot to plug in the diesel engine last night) so his friend had to pick him up for work. Hopefully he can get that fixed up tonight. Oh, and get this! Donnie is doing us a HUGE favor today, babysitting Piper and Gavin at our house while our babysitter Beth is on vacation. Meghan watched them both yesterday. I'm so thankful for family. Donnie is one brave guy don't you agree?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh MY GOSH! That is really hard work! How can Donnie keep two babies,like I am saying, I can hardly do that! I just read all of your comments to G'ma and G'pa. They laughed and marveled at the technology that lets us do that. "Now, that's wireless and going thru the air?", he asked.
    "Yep, and my cell phone, too" answered Jason.
    "Well," G'pa says,shaking his head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I can see grandpa shakin' his head as we speak. :) What would we do without these modern conveniences? Sounds and LOOKS beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am late getting in on this round of comments... but just reading all of this makes me love you all even more and I am SO thankful for FAMILY!!

    :-)

    Love!

    ReplyDelete