Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Is This A Pet Store?!



We're spending the week at Jason's and have returned to a life of normalcy. No more white beach and pounding surf. No more leisurely walks along the shore, kicking the powdered sand. It was a quick excursion on the wealthy side. It is good to be at Jason's, though. He has 2 dogs, 1 cat, a parrot and a lovebird, and 2 aquariums full of fish. Since he has this house with a mother-in-law's quarters, the animals are out there. There is room for us in the other section!


G'ma was getting antsy with no regular chore activities. So we went to Walmart (Is there anyplace left in America without a Walmart!) and bought skeins of fuzzy yarn. She found a crochet hook in her purse so that gave her the idea to start on a project. Little scarves for the little girls. We're also cooking and freezing lunchtime meals for the bachelor. No more wasting money on eating out, he's gonna tighten his belt.


G'pa has been reading a big fat coffee table book about Florida. This afternoon I was watching a movie, '27 Dresses', on one of Jason's 500 channels. (You didn't think I was serious about him saving money!) Everytime a big scene would be on, G'pa started reading aloud from that book. I had to divert my attention and reply to him. Geez! He is a much more active learner than I ever knew. He's interested in anything historical! And knows so much. Another thing, he goes around calling G'ma "Love". And he does that pretty often. When did that start or have I just not been around to notice?


Tomorrow we plan on doing a little yard work. Jason has dozens of palm trees and an old umbrella-plant tree, like the smaller ones we buy at stores in the midwest. Leaves have dropped everywhere and branches need chopped. Lizards and geckos crawl up and down the house siding, sunning themselves on the bird feeder. Dad and I are going to face the native creatures, destroying their habitats- all those dried leaves. If a gecko drops on my head you can probably hear me scream clear north to Spirit Lake.


Red has been in Ft. Meyer. He is in pain with back problems. G'ma has diagnosed it as "sciatica". I'm asking for prayer that his pain subsides. He's really uncomfortable. And I miss him, so you can pray for me, too. Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Ok, this may be my favorite post, yet. I was cracking up the entire time. I don't recall G'pa ever calling G'ma, "Love" so I'm thinking that just started?? Pretty stinkin' cute, though. Maybe I can get Donnie to start calling me that?! Good luck w/the Geckos....eeeeewwwww! I'm glad its you and not me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billye, what a great post! I have a great visual of you and the geckos!!! What a great experience you are having, I'm so glad you took the opportunity to go. What all did you make for Jason's lunches? I'll be he was as happy as could be to have home cooked food from his favorite ladies!!!

    Enjoy the rest of your trip and I look so forward to hearing in person all your adventure taught you, and the highlights of the trip.

    I will pray for you, and for Red. For now, we are watching American Idol and Donny Osmond's nephew is singing right now!!!!!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute that he calls her "Love"! After you are done playing with the geckos you can come to my house and cook for me!! (Ha, Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He calls her "Love"?? That is really sweet.
    I am counting down the days until ya'll come visit the McCarty's here in C town.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post, Mom. The Lord must really be doing a work in you during this trip if you are now willing to face the possibility of a gecko landing on your head. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete